Terre des hommes (Tdh), the leading Swiss child relief non-profit organization, is active in 40 countries with its programs in mother and child health, migration, juvenile justice, child labour and humanitarian emergencies. Since 1996, Tdh has been working on juvenile justice in numerous countries across the globe. In 2016, Tdh’s juvenile justice activities in twenty countries trained 15,000 professionals in juvenile justice and supported 21,000 children in conflict with the law.
i-RESTORE project is a Tdh initiative whose main aim is to foster mutual learning and adopt a child-rights perspective in order to promote a tailored Restorative Justice (RJ) response to protect the full range of child victim’s rights.
i-RESTORE seeks to:
- Identify gaps and synergies in relation to applying RJ in cases involving child victims
- Collect information from policy makers and practitioners in criminal justice about their level of understanding
- Empower children to advocate for better protection of child victims in RJ
- Build the capacities and foster mutual learning amongst national policy makers and practitioners in criminal justice to implement child-victim-friendly RJ approaches
- Raise awareness and advocate for child-sensitive RJ approaches in cases involving child victims
The general objective of the consultancy is to provide a clear picture of the current situation related to restorative justice processes in the target countries (Romania, Albania, Greece) and how they are compliant with children’s rights. This review will include:
- existing legislative and policy framework applicable to restorative justice in the target countries, while pointing out gaps and obstacles.
- an overview of main results and recommendations from recent and current projects and research. Initiatives related to RJ that have been conducted in the target countries and as part of European projects so far in order to understand what are the priorities how if previous initiatives have ensured proper safeguards for the participation of child victims; how they have taken into account gender disparities among child victims, which information is available and which institutions and organizations were involved.
- a review of initial and continuous training including e-learning programmes available to professionals who are or will be involved in RJ processes and who are working with children. This review will include training programmes offered by academic institutions, universities, schools and specialized training bodies.
- Consultations with policy makers and professionals working with children to review the current capacities of practitioners and policy makers to use RJ with children, including child offenders and child victims, in order to prepare the capacity building phase. The consultation will focus on identifying strengths and gaps in knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviours, best practices and relevant case studies.
- Consultations with children to collect information directly from children to understand what they know about RJ, what is their level of understanding about RJ and how they believe it could apply or not to situations of conflict involving children including in cases related to abuse, violence, harmful online behaviours.
- Advanced degree in the field of law or criminology, or equivalent with strong research and analysis component.
- Proven experience in conducting national-level needs assessments and reviews to feed into strategic and operational planning, particularly in the field of juvenile justice, restorative justice and children’s rights.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to synthesise and critically analyse a wide range of material from primary and secondary data sources and to present information in a concise yet thorough form.
- Excellent command of English a must
- Knowledge of juvenile justice projects and networks in the home country and in the Europe region an asset
How to apply
All candidates should please send the following documents to GRC.TENDERS@THD.CH by 30 October 2019:
- A Cover Letter, specifying your daily rate
- Updated CV in English
- A Sample of similar work
Please include “i-RESTORE Project , your name and surname” in the subject line of the application email.
For more details, please see the attached Terms of Reference.